History in Paraty

Edit This
The village was founded in 1667 around the Church of " Nossa Senhora dos Remedios" its patron saint.

Paraty ( sometimes spelled "parati") had a significant economic importance due to its sugar cane mills ( it used to have over 250 distilleries), and the name " paraty " was at a certain time synonym of a very good sugar cane rum "Cachaça".

In the 18th century, the port of Paraty was an important outlet for the gold and precious stones brought on horseback from Minas Gerais State to be shipped to Portugal.However, constant pirate assaults who took refuge in beaches such as Trindade, led to abandoning the gold route, resulting in a great economic isolation.

After the opening of the Paraty-Cunha road, and especially after the opening of the Rio-Santos Highway in the seventies, Paraty became an attraction for Brazilian and international tourism, due to its good state of preservation and thanks to its natural beauties.

Its area comprises the National Park of Bocaina, the Environmental Protection Area of Cairuçu, where the village of Trindade is located, a place of rare beauty, the Park Reserve of Joatinga; it also has limits with the State Park of Serra do Mar.  So, Paraty, is surrounded everywhere by the Mata Atlantica, the luscious Atlantic Forest.

Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Paraty Hotels