Sights in Bowling GreenEdit This
Built in 1917, the Pike County Courthouse is located centrally on the town square on West Main street. The courthous building is constructed of Bedford strone and trimmed Carthage marble: Modern conveniences have been added with the interior retaining much of the atmosphere of the period in which it was built. A statue of congressman Champ Clark, Bowling Green's most famous son, can be found at the south entrance.
Open to the public Mon. - Fri. 9am till 5pm 115 West Main Street, Bowling Green, MO 63334
Bowling Green's Town Square
The County Court House, Champ Clark statue and three part war memorial highlights Bowling Green's town square. The War Memorial is a result of a community wide effort to recognise country residents who served in the armed forces during the two world wars, the Korean, Vietnam and Desert storm conflicts. There are 1,300 names on the memorial, dedicated on July 4th 1992.
The Amish Community
Just outside Bowling Green, on rural highways Y & M lies a thriving Amish farming community - a self sufficient community still carrying on the traditions passed down to them. The Amish first settled the area in 1948 and now there are some 63 families in the community. They use no tractors and only use stationary gasoline or diesel engines for power. Their homes do not have indoor plumbing, electricity or telephones. They wear black broad brimmed hats and home made clothing with hook and eyes rather than buttons. Men wear trimmed beards but no mustaches. The women wear prayer caps to remind them of their call to constant prayer. *please note that the Amish prohibit photography of their faces*.
A cabinet store is open for business and widely known for its fine handmade cabinets and furniture. For more information write to:
Pike County Tourism Commission
PO BOX 147
Bowling Green, MO 63340147
April 14, 2004 new by jimshady (1 point)