History in Niagara fallsEdit This
Niagara Falls' history dates back to the 17th century when Europeans began to visit the area that was at the time occupied by the native Iroquois in present day Canada. However it wasn't until the American Revolution that settlements began to form, as British loyalists fled the colonies of America to the western banks of the Niagara River.
It was in 1790 that the Portage Road was opened to the western side of the river to allow passage across the river without falling victim to the rapids or falls. Several communities quickly popped up nearby, flourishing due to the location. Then in 1848 the first bridge was opened to carry traffic over the river. The suspension bridge was a great boon to the local communities, especially when the railroad reached the area in 1853. It was immediately decided that the train would cross at the same location, and work was undertaken to turn the bridge into a double suspension bridge with the railway crossing above and traffic passing on the level below. It was completed and opened within 2 years, and all the while more communities were being started and were flourishing.
Two such communities were those of Elgin and Clifton. Both were doing well and wished for expansion, and in 1856 the 2 communities merged under the name of Clifton. The town was strategically located and continued to grow for 25 years, when, in a bid for more tourism, it was decided that the town would change its name to the Town of Niagara Falls. Within the year other communities followed suit, with Drummondville taking the name of the Village of Niagara Falls. It wasn't until 1904 that the town and village were merged into what became the City of Niagara Falls.
In 1906, 3 hydroelectric power plants were constructed around the Horseshoe Falls, thus giving the City of Niagara cheap and plentiful power. Coupled with the railroad and the growing tourism, Niagara Falls quickly became and booming city. In 1963 the township of Stamford was merged into the city, followed by Chippawa and Willoughby Township in 1970, bringing the city into its current boundaries.
In 1990 gambling was legalized and several casinos and luxury hotels were added to the cityscape. The city became a favorite honeymoon destination, as well as being extremely popular with United States citizens who frequently headed north for both the nightlife and scenery. It remains one of the more popular tourist destinations in North America, thanks to the natural wonder of Niagara Falls.