HMCS Haida National Historic Site of Canada

Edit This
HMCS Haida

HMCS Haida

Joseph Hollick

HMCS Haida, a Tribal Class destroyer built in England, was commissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy in 1943, serving in many theatres of operation through the Second World War. After a post-war refit, Haida continued in service through Korean War and Cold War situations, until she was decommissioned in 1963. The ship was acquired by the Province of Ontario and moved to Ontario Place (Toronto) in 1971. The ship was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984 by the federal government, and ownership was transferred to Parks Canada in 2002.

HMCS Haida arrived at Pier 9 in Hamilton Harbour on August 30, 2003, the 60th anniversary of her commissioning.

When the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated Haida as being of national historic significance in 1984, they gave two reasons: because of her role in naval combat, and because she is the last of the Tribal class destroyers.

This is part of the Parks Canada Discovery Centre complex and tickets can be purchased for either the Discovery Centre or the Haida or both together.

Contributors
November 22, 2009 new by waterfalls

type:Landmarks
World66 rating: Rate now:
12345
tel:905-526-0911
url:www.pc.gc.ca
address:HMCS Haida, Pier 9, 658 Catharine Street, North

back to Sights

Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Hamilton Hotels

Destinations in Hamilton