Macduff Travel Guide

Edit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
Banffshire Maritime Heritage Association 6 to 8 Duff St Macduff

Banffshire Maritime Heritage Association 6 to 8 Duff St Macduff

Stanley Bruce

The town originally known as 'Doune' was renamed Macduff in 1783 by James Duff the 2nd Earl of Fife.   The name means ‘son of Dubh’ (the black haired one).  Macduff Marine Aquarium which opened in 1997 is well worth a visit.  Boatbuilding in wood, steel and aluminium continues in the busy fishing harbour.  Wonderful Parish church dominates the skyline.  The summer 'Banffhsire Maritime and Heritage Exhibition' (Open Mon to Sat 10.00am to 4.00pm June to October) is a must for all visitors even those from outer space, visit and see what we mean.  To the east of the town the coastline at Tarlair is rugged but beautiful.  Coastal boat trips are available east to Troup Head to see the gannet colony, puffins and guillemots.  Gardenstown, Crovie and Pennan can be seen form the boat.  Trips are also  available west to Portsoy, all on the 'Puffin' berthed in Macduff harbour, www.puffincruises.com look out for dolphins and Minke whales.  Tee off at Royal Tarlair Golf club which follows the rugged coastline or go west across the bridge to Banff.  

Contributors

January 31, 2006 change by bardofthebroch (1 point)

Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Macduff Hotels