History in TrollhättanEdit This
The name Trollhättan has been known since the medieval times when the mills used power from the mighty waterfalls.
In Göta river, north of the city there are still ruins from a castle, Ekholms castle. Unfortunately no picture is preserved.
Several attempts to bridge the falls were done. It was not until the year 1800 that the river route from the sea to the lake Vänern was accessible by boat.
With the advent of the third generation of locks in 1916 Trollhättan got its city privileges.
In 1847 the company Nydqvist och Holm AB (NOHAB) was established. It was specialized in heavy mechanical work. Several spectacular things were made over the years, to mention a few: the 500 heavy Russian locomotives in 1922-1925, the Titanic davits and a number of locomotives of all kinds, steam as well as diesel and electric. In the early 1990s the company went bancrupt and the area is now host to Small and middle sized enterprises (SMEs) and museums.
Electric power, the cradle of Vattenfall
The pursuit to tame the falls has a long history, but it was in the beginning of the 1910s that the, at that time, largest hydroelectric power station in Sweden, the Olidan power plant was established.
In 1944 Håjum powerplant was completed and the last waterfalls became silent. Together the plants deliver about 270 MW making them a major source of hydroelectric power in the southern part of Sweden