Sights in Luxembourg city

Edit This
The city can be explored on foot. Most of the sights are along the southern rim of the old town, where strollers will also find fantastic views and nice parks. The old town is based around two large pedestrian squares, Place d'Armes and Place Guillaume. The city's modern commercial center is across the Pétrusse Valley to the south, connected by two bridges, Pont Adolphe and Pont Passerelle. The Pétrusse and Alzette Rivers meet in the city centre. In Luxembourg City, culture is multilingual and multi-layered. In a nutshell, the city boasts of the most reputed cultural facilities of the country: the Museums for History and Art, the Museum of the History of the City, several theatres and small stage venues, the Music Conservatory, the National Library, to name but a few.

[Add Sight]

Tramway and Bus Museum

Edit This
x

Located at the quarter of Hollerich the tram museum exhibits old tramway carriages and models of buses as well as historical uniforms. Numerous photos and documents illustrate the development of city transportation.

type:Museums
World66 rating: [rate it]
tel:(+352) 47 96 2385
address: 63 Rue de Bouillon
open: Every Thu/Sat/Sun and public holidays from 13:30 to 17:30.

Place d’Armes

Edit This

This is the unofficial heart of the pedestrian zone, surrounded by lots of restaurants and street cafés. Especially in summer it is the place where everybody meets. Place d'Armes was aligned by Sebastian van Noyen from Utrecht and completed by Governor Jean Charles de Landas in 1671. The French troops of Louis XIV paved the square, planted lime-trees and used it for parades. The bandstand has concerts every summer evening by visiting bands. Every second and fourth Saturday, a brocante (antiques/flea) market fills the square.

type:Squares
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:Between Neuve Rue Phillipe & Rue de Cure

Casemates Bock

Edit This
x

The first underground tunnels were built in 1644, in the era of the Spanish domination. The 23-kilometre-long galleries were enlarged only 40 years later by Vauban, the French military engineer and fortress builder, and in the 18th century by the Austrians. The subterranean defensive passages were placed on different levels and reached down as far as 40 metres. It is these impressive defence works that conferred Luxembourg the name of "Gibraltar of the North". After the dismantling of the fortress in 1867, 17 kilometres of the casemates were spared, left in good condition. Since more..

type:Historical Sites
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:Montee de clausen

National Museum of Natural History

Edit This
x

Above all children and youngsters scour the National Museum of Natural History with a sense of adventure, in a universe of fauna and flora. Modern art is the mainstay of the “Casino Luxembourg”, the former citizen’s casino which was transformed into a meeting-place for contemporary art. The Art Gallery “Am Tunnel” for its part exhibits modern paintings and photos.

type:Museums
World66 rating: [rate it]
tel:(352) 46 22 33 1
address:Rue Münster 25
open:Mon-Fri: 14-18:00. Sat/Sun: 10-18:00

Casino Luxembourg

Edit This

type:Museums
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:41 Rue Notre Dame

Am Tunnel

Edit This

type:Galleries
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:16 Rue Zithe
openings:Mon-Fri 11-17h30, guided visits at 14h15
tel:(+352) 40155901
zipcode:L-2954 Luxembourg

The Grund

Edit This

The Grund, also known as the lower town, is a picturesque, cobblestoned quarter. In former times it used to be the home of a large part of the migrant community. You can find a number of good restaurants and pubs in the Grund.

type:Palaces
World66 rating: [rate it]

Rham Plateau

Edit This
x

In bygone days people lived on this high ground, which was washed around on three sides by the Alzette. After the 15th century the third ring linked it to the protected part of the city. At the end of the 17th century, with the French ruling, Vauban had 4 military barracks built, which have housed social institutions since the 19th century. From the front part of the Rham Plateau the visitor enjoys the magnificent view on the military edifices and fortifications of the Holy Ghost Plateau as well as on the so-called Corniche.

type:Historical Sites
World66 rating: [rate it]

Citadelle du St-Esprit

Edit This
x

At its southern base, the Citadelle du St Esprit provides superb panoramas of both the valleys and the Grund. *Sights:St. Michael's Church The oldest church of the city has been demolished several times during the last centuries, but it has always been reconstructed. Its present appearance goes back to 1688, although it was restored twice this century. Its architecture is interesting as it integrates elements of Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque architecture.

type:Religious Buildings
World66 rating: [rate it]

Neumunster Abbey

Edit This
x

The old Altmünster Benedictine abbey was devastated in 1542 during the war between the French King Francis I and the German Emperor Charles V so that the Benedictine monks built a new abbey church in the suburb of Grund. The Neumünster Abbey consisted of a church and 4 wings enclosing an inner courtyard. At the end of the 18th century, after the French Revolution authorities expropriated the Church of St. John, the abbey was altered so as to house a military hospital which functioned until 1867. After the State took over the premise, Neumünster was used as prison for male more..

type:Religious Buildings
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:The Grund

National Museum Of History and Art

Edit This
x

The museum with its 120 rooms gives a good overview of Luxembourg's history. The museum is divided up into several main sections: archeology, classical and modern art, weapons and the fortress, Luxembourg folklore, cultivation of home décor from the 16th to the 20th centuries and last but not least natural history.

type:Museums
World66 rating: [rate it]
tel:(+352) 47 93 30 214
address:Marche-aux-Poissons
open: Tues-Frid from 10-17:00. Sat from 14-18:00. Sun from 10-11:45 and from 14-17:45.

Art du Verre

Edit This

50 works in glass are permanently on display.

Part or or all of this text stems from the original article at: None

type:Galleries
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:4 Avenue de la Liberté
tel:(+352) 47 18 18
zipcode:L-1930 Luxembourg
url:None
email:None
openinghours:None

Casemates Petrusse

Edit This

type:Historical Sites
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:Boulevard F. D. Roosevelt

The future Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean

Edit This

type:Museums
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:10 Avenue Guillaume
tel:(=352) 45 37 85-1

Fort Thungen

Edit This
x

Named after the Austrian commander-in-chief of the fortress, Baron von Thüngen, it was built in 1732 to enclose the defence work called Redoute du Parc (Park Redoubt) set up by Vauban 50 years before. A deep moat surrounded Fort Thüngen which was accessible only through a 169-metre-long underground tunnel through the rocks from Obergrünewald. In 1836 the Prussians extended the Fort and in 1860 strengthened it again. In 1870 and 1874 it was demolished: only the three round towers, the so-called Three Acorns, and the foundation walls, uncovered in 1991, remained in good more..

type:Historical Sites
World66 rating: [rate it]

Cercle Municipal (City Palace)

Edit This
x

The City Palace serves as an administrative building. In the 50ies and 60ies it was used by the European Community for Coal and Steel as a place for conferences. On the front a unique frieze depicts the scene where Countess Ermesinde hands over the charter of freedom to the citizens of Luxembourg in the year 1244.

type:Palaces
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:Chemin de la Corniche

Clairefontaine's Square

Edit This
x

The Square is located near the Cathedral.The name of the square comes from a place of shelter, a refuge belonging to the abbey of Clairefontaine. It is nothing spectacular, but still worth a visit. Some nice restaurants are located in the area.

type:Squares
World66 rating: [rate it]
address:Nearby Cathedral

Museum of History of the City of Luxembourg

Edit This
x

The "Musée d'Histoire de la Ville de Luxembourg" is situated inside a group of four restored noble dwellings and is to reflect the urbanistic and architectural development of the city since its creation in the 10th century up to the present day. It provides the visitor with an insight into the changing day-to-day life of the population. A high-tech, sophisticated data bank enables the visitor to browse through the museum "à la carte" (made-to-measure).

type:Museums
World66 rating:[rate it]
tel:(352) 22 90 50 1 200
address:Rue du St. Esprit 14
open:Tue-Sun: 10-18:00. Thu: 10-20:00.

Post & Telecommunications Museums

Edit This

It reflects the history of the post and telecommunications in Luxembourg. The museum exhibits an interesting collection of stamps. Moreover extensive collections of historical appliances and historical documents are on display.

type:Museums
World66 rating:[rate it]
tel:(+352) 4088-7322
address:Corner Place de la Gare / Rue d'Epernay
open: Tue-Fri 9-12:00 and 13-17:00. Sat: 9-12:00.

Bank Museum

Edit This
x

The Bank Museum inside the head office of the State Bank and Savings Bank, the Post and Telecommunications Museum and the Tram and Bus Museum are quite different. The “Tutesall” (Robert Krieps-Hall), for merly a part of an old prison, was transformed into an original venue for exhibitions.

type:Museums
World66 rating:[rate it]
tel:(+352) 4015-2450
address:Place de Metz 1
open:Mon-Fri: 4-17:30
show numbers 1-20   21-40   41  

Nearby Sights Guides

Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Luxembourg city Hotels

Destinations in Luxembourg city