Sassello Travel GuideEdit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
Situated in a beautiful valley among woods and pastures on the northern slope of the Ligurian Appennines, it includes a portion of the Parco del Beigua within the bounds of its territory. Founded by the tribe of Ligures Statielli, Sassello suffered from barbarian invasions in the Middle Ages and in 935 was almost destroyed by the Saracens. It belonged to the Del Carretto and the marchesi di Ponzone (twelfth century), who sold it to the Doria in 1300. Owing to its strategic position, it was disputed between Genoa and Savoy, Spain and Austria, but in 1612 was acquired by Genoa, which conceded it statutes of its own. Occupied several times by the Savoy, it was annexed to the kingdom of Sardinia in 1815. Of the fortifications erected by the Doria between the fourteenth and fifteenth century, the ruins of the Bastia Inferiore, or lower fort, still stand on a hill and, near the town, those of the Bastia Superiore. The town’s many seventeenth-century churches house fine ornaments and furnishings, along with sculptures and paintings: the parish church of the Santa Trinità, dating from 1654 and preceded by a colonnade, contains eighteenth-century frescoes by Bruschetto. A wooden group by Maragliano can be seen in the oratory of the Disciplinati. Archeological finds made in the area are on show in the Museo Perrando, along with a collection of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century pottery from Savona and a noteworthy collection of paintings. The Sassello Cultural Center is very active (library, theater, poetry in dialect, publications and other events). Nor are sports neglected, with motorcycle racing in the “crossodromo,” or motocross arena. The area is renowned for its traditional production of soft macaroons made to an ancient recipe.