Quiliano Travel Guide

Edit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
Situated in the hinterland between Savona and Vado Ligure, the ancient Aquilianum belonged to the marchesi Del Carretto who ceded it to the commune of Savona in 1192, with the obligation to enfeoff it to the local stewards. From the twelfth century onward, the territory was split into two parts, one subject to the commune of Savona with the community of Quiliano, poder or “estate” of Savona, the seat of the podestà who had a strictly civil jurisdiction, and the other a fief of the bishop of Savona. In 1385 it was ceded to the commune of Genoa, which placed it under the podestà of the Costa dei Vada. In the sixteenth century a local podestà was installed with solely civil jurisdiction, but still subject to the governor of Savona. With the creation of the Ligurian Democratic Republic in 1797 it was made a free commune. Two Roman bridges and the ruins of three more mark the layout of the ancient Via Julia Augusta (second century AD) in Val Quazzola. A few ruins of the medieval castle are still visible on the outskirts of the town. The church of San Pietro a Carpignana, which stands with its fifteenth-century campanile at the entrance to the valley, has original Romanesque structures. The entrepreneurial skills of the inhabitants and the existence of good road connections have encouraged the development of manufacturing activities. The traditional product of the land is the wine called “Buzzetto.”

Contributors

July 04, 2007 change by lpx

Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Quiliano Hotels