Castelbianco Travel GuideEdit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
A commune in the lower Pennavaire valley, it is made up of the villages of Colletta, Oresine, Veravo (seat of the municipality) and Vesallo, the latter abandoned after its destruction by an earthquake in 1887. Formerly a possession of the Cepolla of Albenga, it became part of the marquisate of Zuccarello in 1383. In 1623 the Del Carretto sold it to the Savoy, but only a short time afterward it was acquired by the republic of Genoa. The parish church of the Assunta at Veravo and the church of the Annunziata at Vesallo date from the baroque era: the latter has two campaniles, a tall one with an onion-shaped spire and another of smaller size, also baroque. The ruins of the castle include substantial sections of the walls. The village houses have a characteristically Ligurian appearance, with windows surrounded by white borders. The commune shares the agricultural vocation of the nearby plain of Albenga, producing chiefly fruit (cherries), vegetables and olives.