History in Celle LigureEdit This
The main inhabited centre was founded in the Middle Ages along the coast and divided into two quarters by the torrent Ghiare, with a fairly simple and essential building, typical of the Ligurian sea villages. Mentioned in a document of 1014, it was property of the Clavesanas, of the Doria family and, since 1398, of the Genoese Republic. In order to defend the territory two little castles were built up: one eastwards on a promontory, the other one not far from the sea. According to the tradition they were erected against the Saracen raids with the joint effort of the nearby Monferrato's inhabitants. Ruins of their structures were still existing at the beginning of the last century.