Il Gesù, or the church of the Santissimo nome di Gesù
, is the mother church of the Jesuit order . Build between 1568 and 1575 this baroque church was the principal example for almost all Jesuit churches around the world. In the nave the flock had to be assembled and educated. The most important weapons in the counterreformation were education and a whole new army of Saints. This education is evident in the frescos that ornate the nave and depict the triumph of the Name of Christ. The fresco inside the cupola is also by Bacicca, who shows here he’s a master of foreshortening. Vignola designed the church; Giacomo della Porta made the façade and finished the cupola.
back to Sights