Kecskemét Travel GuideEdit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
The City Hall registered as the pearl of secession can be found at the Main Square. It was built between 1893-1897 according to the design of the architects Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. The City Hall is one of the best-known buildings of Kecskemét, and a monument visited by the most tourists.
You can hear the carillon on the facade of the building since 1983 playing the works of Kodály, Erkel, and Beethoven every hour. Its outside walls are decorated by the majolica of Zsolnay, which can be seen on other buildings in the town as well.
The Ceremonial Hall of the City Hall is the masterpiece of the architecture of the age in its original form. It is the venue of the General Assembly meetings of the city, national and international conferences, wedding ceremonies and ceremonial receptions. The period furniture of the Ceremonial Hall is handicraft work.
The 1200 kg gilded bronze chandelier that is 5 m tall and 3 m wide has 63 bulbs symbolizing the number of the administrative counties of the former Hungary.
The paintings were made by the famous Hungarian painter Bertalan Székely. These paintings show some periods of the Hungarian history embracing one thousand years.
Opposite the Town Hall you can find the oldest architectural relic of Kecskemét, the Franciscan Church built in the 14th century; the locals call it the Church of Friars. Originally it was built in Romanesque style and after several reconstructions it has gained its current Baroque character. A Calvary was set up at the outer wall of fit. From the point of view of religious history it is important to note that it was used both by Catholics and Protestants until 1564.
The Neo-Baroque building of the theatre built for the Millenium of the country was named after the famous dramatist, native of the town, József Katona, who was the writer of the first Hungarian national drama. Its reminiscene of the Vígszínház (Comedy Theatre) in Budapest is not coincidental: they were both built by the plans of the famous Vienna-architects, Hellmer and Fellner. It is called by the locals as jewellery box. In front of the Theatre the Column of the Holy Trinity reminds us of the epidemic of Black Death that took a heavy toll on the population. The statue made of sandstone in 1742 is decorated with the figures of Saint Sebastian, Saint Roch, Saint Elisabeth of the House of Árpád and Saint Steven.
In the old street of Kecskemét– at the Kéttemplomköz – can be found the Zoltán Kodály Institute of Music Pedagogy in the building of a one-time Franciscan monastery where you can see an exhibition showing the lifestory of the famous composer and music educator, Zoltán Kodály (1882-1967).The institute was established in 1975 and it aims at the practice of Kodály’s conception of music education.
At the end of the street we find the Calvinist Church built in early Baroque style in the 1680s, the only stone church in the region during the Turkish occupation. The curiosity of the Main Square is that almost all denomination’s church can be found there, which is unique in the country.
Opposite the Calvinist Church is the New College erected in 1912. The palace was built in the style of Art Nouveau, decorated with Transylvanian motives. It is used as the Primary and Secondary Grammar School of the Calvinist College.
There are two famous buildings on theright of the New College: one of them is Cifrapalota (Ornamented Palace), a unique piece of architecture, known as the masterpiece of Art Nouveau with its wonderful „waving” walls, shining roof tiles and ceramic ornaments of plants and animals. It hosts the Kecskemét Art Gallery today.
The other building is the one-time synagogue built in Moorish-Romantic style between 1861-1864. It was converted into a conference centre during the 1970s. It is known as the House of Science and Technology exhibiting the plaster replicas of 15 Michelangelo statues.
The determinative building of the Main Square is the Big Catholic Church, which was built between 1774-1806. Its tower was ravaged by fire and earthquake. It is the biggest late Baroque styled cathedral on the Grait Plain. Its bell is 2400 kg; you can reach its 74 m tall tower on 94 steps.
Part or or all of this text stems from the original article at: http://kecskemet.hu/?r=314&c=2&l=en