History in Hiiumaa

Edit This
Hiiumaa Tahkuna

Hiiumaa Tahkuna

Mart Mõniste 2006

Short Owerview of Hiiumaa-s History

      Hiiumaa is an island with a long and intersting history that will gradually become known to those interested. The former coastal slopes where about 7500 years ago the first fishermen and sealers landed have grown into a forest.

The trees also cover ancient fields and village sites. Only the wisdom of a searcher or luck of accidental finder will help to specify the knowledge about the Middle Ages.

Each year brings a new surprise, be it a stone with a concavity, a tool or a coin - it all tells us something about the peole and their doings on this little island.

The archive documents of course tell the most exact story. Lets leaf them through together!

1200

1228 - Hiiumaa is first mentioned in written documents as an empty (?) island by the name of Dageida 1254 - Hiiumaa is divided between the bishopric of Ösel-Wiek and the Teutonic Order. First place names are mentioned (Soela Strait, Orjaku, Sarwo, Reigi and Pihla Island ...) appr. 1255 - Beginning of construction of Pühalepa stone church 1300

? - Permanent Swedish settlement, originating from the Finnish and Swedish coastal regions, is formed 1400

? - Antecendent beginning of the construction of Välipäe fortified estate
1470s - High altar that was dedicated to Saint Anna of Pühalepa Church approaches completion 1490s - Hanseatic League applies repeatedly for the permission to build the seamark to Hiiumaa 1500

1500 - Käina stone church approaches completion 1504-1505 - Beginning of the construction of Kõpu seamark 1524 - Sören Norby robs ships near Kõrgessaare 1531 - Kõpu seamark is almost ready 1559-1563 - Bishopric of Ösel-Wiek, including part of Hiiumaa, belongs to Magnus, Duke of Denmark 1563 - Beginning of the Swedish reign in Hiiumaa 1564 - Many villages, including Kärdla, are mentioned for the first time 1582-1594 - Salthouse is operating in Reigi 1600

1603 - Hunger, plague 1612 - The great Danish invasion to Hiiumaa 1624 - J. De la Gardie (1582-1640) acquires greater part of the island by purchase 1627 - Reigi church becomes independent, and so the separate Reigi parish is formed 1628-1664 - First Estonian glass factory starts operating in Hüti village in Hiiumaa 1678 - Revolt of the Hiiumaa Swedes 1679 - Dutch E Jacobson Bloedysel establishes a shipyard at the Port of Suursadam 1682 - A food box is made in Hiiumaa which, to date, is the oldest wooden object with a dated family mark in Estonia 1700

1710 - Hiiumaa becomes essentially part of the Russian Empire, peace treaty in 1721 1716-1720 - The island belongs to the Russian Admiralty 1755 - E. M. Stenbock restores his land rights in Hiiumaa; beginning of the construction of Suuremõisa Manor House 1758 - The Stackelbergs settle down in Kassari 1779-1782 - Emmaste estate (now a schoolhouse) is completed 1781 - Swedes from Reigi are forced to move to the new living place in Southern Ukraine 1781 - O. R. L. Von Ungern-Sternberg buys the estates of Nothern Hiiumaa and settles down there 1793 - Hat factory starts operating in Reigi parsonage 1796 - The Ungern-Sternbergs expropriate the Suuremõisa estate, and so they govern larger part of Hiiumaa 1800

1802 - Reigi stone church approaches completion 1803-1804 - O. R. L. Von Ungern-Sternberg is found quilty for killing captain Malm and is sent to Siberia 1819 - The main building of Putkaste estate approaches completion; this estate has been mentioned by the name of Saulepa already in 1524 1829 - The Ungern-Sternberg or the Hiiu-Kärdla cloth fabric starts operating 1848 - Sailing ship Hioma, the first Estonian ship to cross the equator, is constructed in Suursadam 1851 - K.-E. Von Bear visits Hiiumaa 1863 - Jojann Köler lives in Vaemla estate where he completes about a dozen paintings of Hiiumaa 1863 - New stone church is consecrated in Kärdla 1866 - Emmaste parish is formed: one year later the new stone church approaches completion 1867 - The 1st Hiiumaa Song festival is held in Leigri-Murru 1873 - Rudolf  Tobias, one of the founders of serious music in Estonia, is born in Käina parish clerk  house 1874-75 - Construction works of Ristna and Tahkuna lighthouses 1884 - Baptism is spreading around Hiiumaa 1890s - Three orthodox churches approached completion 1900

1905 - World politician Ernst Jaakson descending of native Hiiu people is born in Riga 1908 - Mänspe village gets a new church 1911 - First Estonian artificial silk factory is built to Kõrgessaare (Viscosa Ltd); sample production in 1914 1913 - Electricity in Hiiumaa; cinema arrives to Kärdla 1917-1918 - Germany occupation 1918 - Hiiumaa becomes part of the Independent Estonian Republic 1924 - First bus line starts work in Hiiumaa 1926 - First Hiiumaa Song Day 1938 - Kärdla received city rights 1939 - Beginning of the construction of soviet military bases 1940 - Estonia, including Hiiumaa, is occupied by military bases 1941 - First deportation to Siberia, World War II reaches to the island; cloth fabric is burnt down; beginning of the German occupation 1944 - Soviet armed forces occupy the island again 1948 - Fist collective farm is formed 1949 - First edition of the local newspaper Soviet Hiiumaa is published. Second deportation to Siberia 1950 - Hiiumaa becomes a separate region 1952 - Fish factory sarts operating in Kõrgessaare 1961 - First shipment of canned fish produced in Kõrgessaare 1971 - Cafeteria Rannapaargu is opened 1971 - A famous Hiiumaa wolf is caught, it is still preserved in exposition house of the Hiiumaa Museum in Kassari 1989 - Beginning of the restoration in Kõpu Lighthouse 1990 - First World Festival of People of Hiiumaa 1991 - Restoration of Independence in Estonia 1993 - Last Soviet army units leave the island 2000

2003 - First indoor swimming pool in Hiiumaa is opened in Käina ...
Where World66 helps you find the best deals on Hiiumaa Hotels

Destinations in Hiiumaa