Old town Pardubice
Pardubice is a city of around 100 000 inhabitants. It is situated in
lowland of Eastern Bohemia on the banks of the rivers Labe and
Chrudimka. Many people think it is the town of industry. When they come
there, they are surprised. Pardubice is mainly the town of sport,
culture and history.
The first written records of Pardubice are from the late 13th century
it was granted "town" status in 1340. In the late 15th century
Pardubice was bought by Pernstejn family, who began an extensive
program of construction. They rebuilt the castle into the early
renaissance chateau, which became their residence. The largest
expansion of the city began in 1845 because of the beginning of the
railway traffic through Pardubice to Olomouc and Prague. It was also
the start of great industrialization.
Part or or all of this text stems from the original article at: www.pardubice.cz