Sights in DubrovnikEdit This
Part or or all of this text stems from the original article at: http://croatia.valamar.com
December 19, 2008 change by crotraveller
The city walls, shaped in the far 14th century, surround the city core almost two kilometres in length. They are what makes Dubrovnik what it is, recognizable, and what you first see on every postcard from this town. Its complex structure makes up a historical monument of the highest category, and its significance and specificity put it on the top of the European list of cultural heritage.
This is an exceptionally valuable historic complex, which, besides its religious purpose, also represents the important artistic treasury of ancient Dubrovnik. Dominican Monastery in Dubrovnik was founded in 1225, and it was being built from the end of the 13th till 16th century. Its arcades were carved in the middle of the 15th cent by the local masters following the designs of well known Italian Renaissance sculptor Masa di Bartolomeo. The southern wall of the church is decorated with luxurious gothic doorway form 1419, the work of Bonino di Jacop from Milan.
The most affluent library in the City of Dubrovnik is found precisely within the Franciscan monastery, one of the most important sights in Dubrovnik. The monastery was built in 1317 under the city walls near Minceta. Asides from the rich library, which has a large collection of priceless manuscripts, it is also houses one of the oldest pharmacies in Europe that has worked constantly from the time when it was founded (1317) until the present day.
The Revelin fortress is one of the most important Dubrovnik sights. Built in the middle of the XVI century with the purpose of defending the city, and it was, historically speaking, a pretty turbulent period, an age when in Dubrovnik threat of Venice attack was felt once again. The original project of the Revelin fortress was built to the design of the architect Anton Ferramolino, sent by the Spanish admiral Dorio, a great friend of the Republic.