Practical Information in TuzlaEdit This
First mentioned in 950 as a county under Hungarian rule, the town was later referred to by historians as Soli. Soli means " salts " in the local Slavic language, and the city's present name means "place of salt" in Turkish . However, there is enough archaeologic evidence to suggest that Tuzla was a rich neolithic settlement, and hence inhabited continuously for more than 6,000 years which makes Tuzla one of the oldest European cities with sustained living. An open-air museum at Solni Trg , opened in 2004 , tells the story of salt production in Tuzla.
On October 2 , 1943 , Tuzla became the largest liberated town in Europe to the time. It developed into a major industrial and cultural centre during the communist period in former Yugoslavia . In the 1990 elections the Reformists won control of the municipality being the only municipality in Bosnia where non-nationalists won. During the Bosnian war, 1992 - 1995 the town aligned itself with the Bosnian presidency and was besieged by Serb nationalist forces. The town was not spared the atrocities of war. On May 25 , 1995 , a mortar killed 72 youngsters in the single most deadly incident of the war.