History in Las Pinas CityEdit This
Understanding the turning points in Las Pinas City history can help you decide which areas of the city you have to see to truly appreciate this area of the Philippines. Travel back to the early points of the Las Pinas City to learn how this heavily industrialized city came to be.
The earliest dominant inhabitants of the Las Pinas City area were the Malays, who immigrated into the Philippines following the Negritos tens of thousands of years ago. These natives were largely isolated until they later became heavily influenced by Arab traders in the 14th century. The Spanish invaded the Malays' land in the late 16th century and conquered the native peoples, spreading the influence of Catholicism. As the Spanish began colonizing the land over the next few centuries, Las Pinas became one of the first fishing settlements in the country.
The Founding of the Town
Historical records dispute whether or not the fishing settlement officially became the town Las Pinas in 1762 or 1797, but it did so under Spanish rule sometime between these dates. One of the most famous official National Cultural Treasures from this early period of town incorporation is the Fr. Diego Cera Bamboo Organ, which has resided in the Parish Church of St. Joseph since 1824. The organ still plays and is still featured in concerts and festivals for an audience made up primarily of tourists from around the Philippines and the world.
The Philippine Revolution
Just as the Spanish colonization influenced the culture and religion of the city, so did the Philippines' fight for independence from Spanish rule in the late 19th century. Las Pinas City is rich in history from the Philippine Revolution, particularly due to an 1896 occupation by Philippine General Emilio Aguinaldo, who would soon become the nation's first president. After the Philippines won its independence, Las Pinas became an official municipality of the newly-formed providence of Rizal in 1901.
Merging, Separation and New Providence
For a time, Las Pinas was part of its neighboring municipality Paranaque. Only two years after it was entered into the providence of Rizal, Las Pinas was merged with Paranaque, although the merger lasted only 4 years until 1907. Las Pinas remained a municipality of Rizal until 1976, when it joined a new providence, the Metropolitan Manila Area (a.k.a. The National Capital Region). Between these pivotal points in history, Las Pinas was occupied by the Japanese during World War II.
Becoming a City
Las Pinas City wasn't actually "Las Pinas City" until just 1997, when then-president Fidel V. Ramos signed a bill declaring the town of Las Pinas to be a city. A vote held by the townspeople approved this change and the town of Las Pinas officially became Las Pinas City.