UNNAO Travel GuideEdit This The best resource for sights, hotels, restaurants, bars, what to do and see
The town of Unnao gives its name to the district of which it forms a part. About 1200 years ago, the site of this town was covered with extensive forests. Godo Singh, a Chauhan Rajput, cleared the forests, probably in the third quarter of the 12th century, and founded a town called Sawai Godo, which shortly afterwards passed into the hands of the rulers of the Kannauj, who appointed Khande Singh as the Governor of the place. Unwant Singh, a Bisen Rajput and a lieutenant of the Governor, killed him and built a fort here, renaming the place as Unnao after himself. In ancient times, the area which comprises Unnao formed part of the Kosala Mahajanapada. It was later included in Oudh. This region has been inhabited since antiquity as traces from ancient times remain at some places in the district. After the First War of Indian Independence in 1857, power was transferred from the British East India Company to the British Crown, by the Queen's Proclamation of 1858. Once the order was restored, the civil administration was re-established in the district which was named Unnao, with headquarters at Unnao. It assumed its present size in 1869. The same year the town of Unnao was constituted a Municipality. There are various historical articles available on Unnao. The latest one is still in progress by Shaheer A. Mirza, who is tracking the history of early Mughal settlements in a village called Jalalabad (settled by one Mirza Jalal Beg during the reign of Humayun) around Qasba Asiwan of Hasanganj Tehseel.